Problems with WordPress websites
Most of these posts have been written by WordPress developers advising ways of solving some of the issues that are inherent in WordPress. We take a look at some of the main problems below and discuss the pros and cons of WordPress compared to a bespoke website build. This will provide you with all the knowledge you need to make an informed decision.
WordPress provides a good platform for building websites but like any other open source software it is not perfect and does have its problems:
- Because it is a well-known platform security can be compromised, hackers and robots can easily find WordPress websites to attack
- WordPress updates can break a website so your agency will have to continuously monitor your site and fix any issues that appear
- The website hosting server will need constant surveillance to monitor security updates
- Plug-ins written by multiple third-party developers can break or conflict with other plug-ins installed
- Installing a large number of plug-ins can slow your site down and speed is now one of the most important factors for users and SEO
- Some WordPress developers have limited coding/programming skills because, in theory, these skills are not needed
- Lack of originality; your website will look like many other WordPress websites
- License fees for themes and some plug-ins can add up to a substantial cost.
This does not mean that WordPress websites are sub-standard. Providing your web agency has the skills and knowledge to maintain your website and keep it secure and has the experience to choose the best quality plug-ins that do not conflict with each other, a WordPress website can provide an effective build option.
Bespoke website design or WordPress?
Your decision will depend on factors such as budget, what you want your website to achieve and how unique some of the features are.
Advantages of using a WordPress theme:
- You get an off the shelf design that is mobile ready which can save time and money
- Content is easily inserted into the website to match the design theme
- Design themes can be sourced from a variety of providers; some are free but others are governed by a license fee
- A wide variety of plug-ins are available to provide additional functionality, some are free, others you have to pay for
- Open source platform that is well known.
If your developer has coding/programming skills they can customise your WordPress site. However, if you want customisation, it can sometimes be more cost-effective to opt for a bespoke website design.
Advantages of bespoke website design:
- Unique design for your business
- Features that are developed specifically for your business
- Content Management System that is intuitive and easy to use
- No need for security updates as the system is less likely to be attacked by hackers or robots
- Secure and fast with no unnecessary Plug-ins slowing the site down
- More control over the design and layout of your pages
- Additional bespoke development can be added in future, if required
- No license fees.